Friday 10 January 2014

Star Wars Yoda Cake Tutorial

This was a Star Wars themed cake based around the character Yoda. Although making the figure was quite a challenge, once we put the full cake together we were very happy with the finished product and so was the customer.

We started off with a round 8" cake. Once we had butter creamed the cake, we rolled out black fondant and cut an 8" circle. Once we had covered the top of the cake with the black circle, we mixed Atlantic blue and white to create a royal blue colour and then we covered the full cake. 

Covering the cake in black first allowed us to the cut through the blue icing and pull it back. If we did not put the black icing down first, when we pulled the blue back, the butter cream would be stuck to the blue.  



Making the figure was definitely the hardest part. I decided to start of with rice crispy bars, which I used to create the body and head. 
Once I had covered the bars using butter cream, I rolled out some green fondant to cover the head and brown fondant to cover the body. Once I had all of the bars covered, I then started to add the nose, eyes, arms and walking stick. Once these were starting to set, whilst the fondant was still soft, I used the pointed side of this tool to start drawing lines and wrinkles on the head. 
I then left the figure to set overnight on a 4" round board.
To write on the cake I printed off the text onto a piece of plain paper. I then used a pin and pinned the corners of each of the corners and lines onto the fondant. When the lines were visible and had enough holes to work with, I took some white piping icing and piped around the holes marking out the letters. The original idea was to fill the letters in white, but we all decided it would look best being left as it was. 
When the writing had set, it was time to put the finishing touches on the cake and put the cake together. I started by rolling out white fondant and cutting out white stars, which I then stuck to the cake using water before adding a white ribbon. I finally wrote the name on the board and the cake was finished.

To see more of our work or to contact us, please visit our Facebook Page (Newton's Cakes).


No comments:

Post a Comment