Saturday 11 January 2014

Take That Cake Tutorial

This cake was originally going to be a 2 tier cake. Unfortunately the client had to cancel the cake and therefore the cake was not going to be made. However I had already made most of the figures and put a lot of time into making them. I therefore wanted to see what the cake would have been like, so I bought a 6" dummy cake and decorated it with the figures. 

If anyone is going to try and make this cake or one similar, I would recommend giving yourself plenty of time to do so. The figures took me over a week to make and they were quite rushed. 

This was not the first time we had made a Take That cake. In November 2011, we were asked to make a Take That cake. This was when the business was just starting to take off and at the time this cake was made, everyone thought it was great. 
However, this was a good opportunity to see much our skills had developed in the past two years. I therefore took a lot more time planning this cake and I even created a small booklet, which included sketches and pictures to help me when creating the figures and putting the cake together. This was the original sketch for the two tier cake.

I then also wanted to spend more time on the figures to make sure that they were quite realistic. To do this I printed off pictures and made annotations and small sketches that I could refer to whilst making the figures.

Once I had these notes I started making the figures, starting with Gary Barlow.


Making the figures was quite easy, however it was very time consuming. To make the figures i simply rolled some grey fondant (white fondant for the other figures) and then placed a ball of fondant on top. To make the ball for the head I took some white fondant
nt and then dipped a cocktail stick into the Sugaflair Paprika colour. I only put a small amount in as this made the colour light.
I then used the pointed edge of a tool to mark out the eyes, nose and mouth, before adding white to the eyes and then adding the hair. To add the hair, I rolled black fondant into thin strips before cutting them down and adding them to the head, building them up in layers. 
Once all of the figures had been made and all of the features had been added. I then started adding detail. I ordered a black pen and a caramel brown coloured pen so that I could start adding the eyebrows, facial hair and even highlights in the hair. 
Once the figures were finished I took the dummy cake and rolled out a black fondant 7" circle. I then covered the board in black fondant and then covered the dummy cake. I then pulled back the fondant and added the figures. I added some stars and cut out Take That which I stuck to the cake using water. 


Even though the cake was not for a client, it received a great response and although it was a  dummy cake we were very happy with the finished product.

To see more of our work or to contact us, please visit our Facebook Page (Newton's Cakes).

No comments:

Post a Comment